GLITTER NAILS WITH UV GEL
If you don’t have a bottle of glittered gel, you can still have glitter nails using loose glitter. There are a few different ways to apply loose nail glitter during a gel manicure. Here are 2 of the most popular (and easiest) ways to do it.
ITEMS THAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Nail prep tools (nail file, buff, cuticle pusher/clipper and primer)
- UV Base Coat
- UV Gel Polish (any color that complements your chosen glitter)
- Loose Glitter
- Firm flat gel brush (or similar firm make up brush)
- Fan brush (or similar soft make up brush)
- UV Top Coat
- UV Nail Lamp
STEPS TO APPLY LOOSE GLITTER:
DIP (OR SPRINKLE) METHOD
Fine glitter needs to be used for this application method
- Prep the nail as usual for applying a gel polish manicure.
- Apply the base coat and cure as normal (time as indicated for your strength of lamp).
- Apply two coats of any colour, curing as normal between each layer (choose a color that compliments your glitter).
- After curing, the gel colour polish will be a bit sticky to the touch.
- Put your finger into the bowl of glitter, or sprinkle the glitter over the nail, depending on how much glitter you want on the nail. The glitter will stick to the sticky cured gel polish color.
Note – Be gentle if dipping your nail into the glitter, don’t bump the nail as this could cause an uneven look. Sprinkling the glitter onto the nail until you have the desired amount/coverage is probably the better option… although this can get a bit messy, so keep a paper towel under your hand to catch the falling glitter.
- Gently press the glitter into the gel polish on the nail using the small flat brush. This is to ensure the glitter is placed well to give you a flat nail surface, and to ensure the cuticle area is neat.
- Tap of the excess glitter and remove any left over glitter with a fan brush (or similar soft brush that you have available).
- Apply 2 coats of top coat, curing each layer and capping the free edges – this will ensure the glitter stays in place.
CREATE YOUR OWN PRE-MIXED GLITTER GEL:
Any glitter or nail sequins can be used for this method
- Pour out a little clear gel into a mixing pallet or small container – I find an old jar cap works very well, as in the photo below this post.
- Add the desired amount of glitter (or sequins) and mix well.
- Using a gel brush, apply your new glitter gel as mentioned below:
If the clear gel you use is a Base Coat – You must first apply an non-glittered base coat to your prepped/primed nails, before continuing with the glittered base coat – sealing with a top coat. This will give you a clear nail with glitter, so you can use any color glitter you want.
If the clear gel you use is a Top Coat – You would apply your normal base coat and color gel layers, curing in between each layer as usual. Then apply and cure your glittered top coat, but also seal with an non-glittered top coat. This will give you a colored nail with glitter on top. Here you have to consider which colors you use, as you don’t want the nail color and the glitter color to clash.
To purchase nail glitter and all other nail art – you can click here