REMOVING YOUR GEL POLISH AT HOME
The first and most important thing to remember here is that you never ever, under no circumstances, EVER pick or pull your gel off your nails. There are several ways to remove a gel manicure safely, without any damage to your natural nail. Here are some easy options to try at home.
ITEMS THAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Nail file & buffer
- Cuticle scraper (preferable a stainless steel one with at least one 1 flat edge)
- Magic Remover / 100% Acetone (depending with method you prefer)
- For soak off, a soak off bowl
- Cuticle oil or hand cream for afterwards
- When you are ready to remove the gel, file a thin layer of the protective top coat off using a normal nail file (not a buffer). This will allow the Magic Remover to penetrate the gel below the top coat of protection.
- Apply quite a thick coat of Magic Remover to each nail and leave it to sit for 3-5 minutes, by then the gel would have bubbled up and started lifting (as in the photo above).
- Using the wide part of the steel scraper, gently scrape the lifted gel off your nail.
- For any stubborn pieces, reapply some Magic Remover and wait a few more minutes before gently scraping off again.
- You can then gently file off any left-over stubborn gel, being careful not to file into your nail.
- Buff over to smooth, wash hands, apply cuticle oil and you’re done!
Purchase the Magic Remover here
SOAK OFF METHOD
- When you are ready to remove the gel, file a thin layer of the protective top coat off using a normal nail file (not a buffer). This will allow the acetone to penetrate the gel below the top coat of protection.
- Put acetone into the soak off dish (enough to cover your nails complete) and place your nails to soak for 10-15 minutes.
- Using the wide part of the steel scraper, gently scrape the lifted gel off each nail.
- For any stubborn pieces, lightly file and re-soak for another few minutes.
- Gently scrape and then file off any left-over gel, being careful not to file into your nail.
- If you are doing this method by yourself, please do 1 hand at a time so you have a free hand to remove the gel while the acetone is still wet on the nails. If you are doing this for someone else, you can speed things up by soaking both hands at once.
- Buff over to smooth, wash hands, apply hand cream to moisturize and you’re done!
Purchase the basic soak off kit here
There is also the soak off method using foil and acetone-soaked cotton pads, but I would rather recommend using the soak off dish, it’s a lot less fuss.
If you are traveling and need a quick, portable soak off – I’d suggest the individually wrapped acetone pads. Fuss free and so easy to pack!
Purchase the acetone pads here